Random Passing Thoughts

Random thoughts with little (or no) connection to anything. because this is the internet, and I can do stuff like this.



  • I checked a Kindle (original version, not DX) out from the NCSU Libraries and took it with me to Louisville. As a booklover, I was skeptical, but it was actually quite nifty to not have to pack 14 paperbacks with me for my traveling and multiple flights. I can see checking out the Kindle when I do some traveling, but at home I found I still prefer an actual page-turny book. Still, it was a nice test drive. Not yet willing to blow a few hundred bucks on it, but I now understand the attraction better.

  • Deciding between doing what makes you happy and doing what makes you a responsible adult is difficult. Even more difficult? Debating with yourself about what makes you happy. And then trying to figure out if you're willing to take the leaps to make that happy happen... /mindboggle

  • We don't give managers enough credit. If I had known how mentally and emotionally exhausting it was to manage people, I'd've brought my old bosses cookies on a regular basis, and wouldn't have been so flip about criticizing their decisions. (Well, maybe I would have been, but I'd have added more compassion.)

  • My favorite current commercial: the Geico talking pothole commercial. "I don't HAVE a cellphone! 'Cause, I'm a pothole?" *snicker*

  • You know the old "If a tree falls in the forest..." question. But, if a library service disappears, and nobody notices it, was it a service at all? If a book is written and nobody reads it, does it count?

  • I just finished the latest degree (MFA in Writing), and start the next (MS in Technical Communication) in January 2010. I then found myself coveting the JD, and have an acceptance letter into an EdD in Higher Education Administration program. I am also noticing that I haven't really been thinking about what I'd *do* with all of these, just that I like the comfort of letters after my name. It makes it look like I know what I'm talking about.

  • I wonder if having pets helps us expand our natural compassion-reservoirs for other humans, or if the patience we exhibit with our furbabies helps us be more patient with other people. if so, I may need another dog *grin*

  • Lots of writing to do - I have four book chapters due with varying deadlines but none later than March 31, 2010, and a book contract with a finished manuscript deadline of July. And I have two poetry manuscripts I want to polish off and start sending out - one with a deadline of February and the other with a May deadline (both self-imposed).

  • Super-random: the smell of mint makes me happy. Peppermint and spearmint. It relaxes me. If you spritz me with mint, I may well fall asleep where I stand. But I'd do it with a smile on my face. (Oddly enough, the Moonlight Sonata has a similar effect on me.)

  • A month or two away from buying a new desktop. The wee little lappy just doesn't get me into the writing zone.

  • The colder it gets, the more attractive the Snuggie becomes. I would love one in a black and white moo-cow print. I adore cows. And moose. But I doubt there's a moose Snuggie in the works. I would like to break the bun-wearing librarian stereotype and become the Snuggie-wearing librarian.

  • This ends the randomness for today. I'm stretching some unused bloggy muscles *grin*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions & Customer Service Failures

The Dissertation Problem and ProQuest's "Legitimacy" Lie

On the Great Myth of the Librarian Grays