Big News: Head of Access at UTC in May 2010

After a bit of living, I am convinced that the hardest decisions in life aren't necessarily the awful ones. (I can say that, having had to choose between "frackin awful thing 1" and "pretty goddang terrible #2".) No, for me, the hardest decisions are when I have two wonderful choices. And recently, one of these hunted me down and made me choose.


In May 2010, I will be leaving the NCSU Libraries to take the position of Head of Access Services at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.


It has been an incredible year for us here in Access & Delivery Services at NCSU. Mary Chimato (my boss and close friend) blogged about it here, so I won't rehash it. But I *will* say that it is incredible what people can accomplish when they are not only willing to accommodate change, but actually anticipate it, enjoy it, and are willing to work with, support, and train each other in the face of it. I continue to be impressed by what my staff - and that of the library at large - has been able to accomplish in terms of positive morale and increased work. I am proud to call this department mine.


Working in the NCSU Libraries has been an incredible journey. I have learned a lot about project and personnel management, about working across library departments, and about grace and style under pressure. I've had the incredible opportunity to be a small part of some large projects like straightening out student billing to better serve our patrons, and by leaving, I'll be missing out on some cutting edge ways to serve users. The NCSU Libraries prides itself on being a frontrunner for libraries everywhere, and having worked here, I can say without a doubt that it's true.


At the same time that I am sad to be leaving a library system that has taught me so much and a staff that has really opened my eyes to what motivated people can accomplish, I am thrilled to join Lupton Library at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. The dedication to serving the student body, the enthusiasm of the librarians and staff for the work they do to serve their community, and the synergy of the librarians is an environment I'm looking forward to adding my energy to.


Those of you who know me might find UTC familiar. I previously worked there as a reference and instruction librarian. I credit it my great good fortune and the wonderful taste of Lupton's hiring committee that I have the opportunity to return to my library home. This very much feels like a homecoming for me, and I am excited to be part of the next exciting chapter of Lupton Library's development.


It is humbling and a blessing to have the opportunity to choose between Wonderful Opportunity 1 and Wonderful Opportunity 2. A heartfelt thank you to both library systems and their staff for believing in my skills. NCSU, I will miss your bold strategic vision, groundbreaking initiatives and lionhearted staff. And to UTC, I look forward to giving you my all in May!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations, Colleen! That's fantastic news--you're certainly traveling up the ladder quickly! Even better that you'll be returning to a library you love! Good luck to you.

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions & Customer Service Failures

On the Great Myth of the Librarian Grays

Jobseeker Tip 1: CV/Resume Objectives, And A Contest!