Reading in Review: 2011

Of the 98 books I remembered to log as read in 2011, the breakdown is as follows:

  • 5 horror

  • 5 paranormal romance

  • 11 nonfiction

  • 5 short story

  • 6 scifi

  • 14 fantasy

  • 1 memoir

  • 3 mystery

  • 21 paranormal/urban fantasy

  • 6 thriller

  • 5 YA fantasy

  • 5 poetry

  • 1 parody


Definitely heavy on the braincandy reading; most of the nonfiction were education and LIS books related to my coursework and research, with a few essay collections and books on writing thrown in. favorites included Kevin Wilson's short story collection Tunneling to the Center of the Earth, discovering Cathrynne M. Valente, Peter V. Brett and Scott Sigler as new-to-me fiction writers (fantasy, fantasy and sci-fi/thriller, respectively), and Karen Marie Moning's Fever series in the paranormal/urban fantasy genre. The lowest points were Meyer's Twilight series and Janine Cross's Dragon Temple Saga series, whcih I would heartily recommend steering clear of.

For 2012 I'd like to make sure I get a lot more poetry in (I have no excuse not to, given what's on my shelves waiting to be read). There are also a number of Kindle shorts and novels that didn't make it to this list, since I'm less good about tracking what I've read electronically. 2011 I kept on a Googledoc spreadsheet; for 2012 I'm trying to keep up with my Goodreads account.

Merry reading to everyone for 2012! Whatever your reading goal is - or even whether or not you have one, try to read at least one book this year. Interesting things live between book covers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions & Customer Service Failures

On the Great Myth of the Librarian Grays

Jobseeker Tip 1: CV/Resume Objectives, And A Contest!