Top 100 Meme: 1997
The meme (as taken from Rudy's Ramblings: the top 100 songs the year you graduated high school. Go to http://www.musicoutfitters.com. Per Rudy's instructions, type the year of your high school graduation [or first year, if still in high school] into the search function. Retrieve the Top 100 songs from that year. Strike through the songs you hate(d). Underline the songs you like(d). Bold the songs you love(d). Leave blank those you don’t care about or don’t remember. Annotate at will.
Here goes, the list for my high school graduation year of 1997 *cringe* - I found that some of them I just didn't remember. Honorable mentions from other years below 1997:
1. Candle In The Wind 1997, Elton John
4. Un-Break My Heart, Toni Braxton I heart me some Toni.
5. Can't Nobody Hold Me Down, Puff Daddy Another ripoff, but seriously catchy. I have been known to sing this when success looks against the odds. "Cain't nobody ever hold me dow-own, whoa no, I gots to keep on mo-vin'...."
7. Don't Let Go (Love), En Vogue
8. Return Of The Mack, Mark Morrison
11. Quit Playing Games (With My Heart), Backstreet Boys - I take the fifth on this one. Neither loved nor hated. (They reminded me of my beloved NKOTB)
13. For You I Will, Monica
14. You Make Me Wanna..., Usher Usher's hot. Nuff said.
15. Bitch, Meredith Brooks
16. Nobody Keith Sweat
17. Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind I liked this song even more when I bought the cd and found the parts they refused to play on the radio.
18. Barely Breathing, Duncan Sheik
19. Hard To Say I'm Sorry, Az Yet Featuring Peter Cetera
20. Mo Money Mo Problems, Notorious B.I.G.
21. The Freshmen, Verve Pipe Loved this one. It was overplayed, but I thought it was haunting.
22. I Want You, Savage Garden
23. No Diggity, BLACKstreet Featuring Dr. Dre This is still at the top of my playlist. "Herb's the word, spin's the verb..."
24. I Belong To You (Every Time I See Your Face), Rome
25. Hypnotize, Notorious B.I.G.
26. Every Time I Close My Eyes, Babyface
27. In My Bed, Dru Hill
29. Do You Know (What It Takes), Robyn
30. 4 Seasons Of Loneliness, Boyz II Men
31. G.H.E.T.T.O.U.T., Changing Faces
33. I Believe In You And Me, Whitney Houston
34. Da' Dip, Freaknasty When I have control of the tunes, this still comes on. And I still dance. There may have also been a dancing-on-the-bar incident related to this song.
36. All For You, Sister Hazel
37. Cupid, 112
38. Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?, Paula Cole
39. Sunny Came Home, Shawn Colvin This song made me want to set things on fire.
40. It's Your Love, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
41. Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit, Gina G
42. Mouth, Merril Bainbridge YES. I still have this CD. She was interesting.
43. All Cried Out, Allure Featuring 112
44. I'm Still In Love With You, New Edition
45. Invisible Man, 98 Degrees It did not hurt that this band was uber-hot, but they got lost since they were sort of the same as the backstreet Boys and the other boyband at the time.
46. Not Tonight, Lil' Kim
47. Look Into My Eyes, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
48. Get It Together, 702
49. All By Myself, Celine Dion best drunk-and-singing-to-myself-after-a-breakup song ever.
50. It's All Coming Back To Me Now, Celine Dion Yes, I am embarrassed that i just bolded two Celine Dion songs in a row. But c'mon, these are the best ones to sing along to!
51. My Love Is The Shhh!, Somethin' For The People
52. Where Do You Go, No Mercy Where do you go? Mah lovely....I wanna know....my lovely. Love this song.
53. I Finally Found Someone, Barbra Streisand and Bryan Adams Bryan Adams makes my heart go pitter-patter. Babs I can take or leave.
54. I'll Be, Foxy Brown Featuring Jay-Z
55. If It Makes You Happy , Sheryl Crow
56. Never Make A Promise, Dru Hill
57. When You Love A Woman, Journey
58. Up Jumps Da Boogie, Magoo And Timbaland
59. I Don't Want To/I Love Me Some Him, Toni Braxton Seriously. Toni Braxton *hearts*
60. Everyday Is A Winding Road, Sheryl Crow - was not enamored of this one, though I like Crow
61. Cold Rock A Party, Mc Lyte
62. Pony, Ginuwine This one also involved in a dancing-on-the-bar incident.
63. Building A Mystery, Sarah McLachlan - Couldn't stand her in college when some girls would wear black, lock their door, and put her on repeat in the dark, but she really is a talented musician.
65. Your Woman, White Town
66. C U When U Get There, Coolio
67. Change The World, Eric Clapton
68. My Baby Daddy, B-Rock and The Bizz
69. Tubthumping, Chumbawamba Le sigh. This was a staple of the fraternity parties I attended in freshman and sophomore year.
70. Gotham City, R. Kelly
71. Last Night, Az Yet
72. ESPN Presents The Jock Jam, Various Artists Yes. Excellent source of tunes.
73. Big Daddy, Heavy D
74. What About Us, Total
75. Smile, Scarface
76. What's On Tonight, Montell Jordan - I don't remember this one, but if they had put in "Let's Get it on Tonight, it would have been bolded.
77. Secret Garden, Bruce Springsteen Aw. I love the Boss's softer side.
78. The One I Gave My Heart, w Aaliyah
79. Fly Like An Eagle, Seal I like Steve Miller band's version better.
80. No Time, Lil' Kim
81. Naked Eye, Luscious Jackson
82. Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix), Los Del Rio I know it's annoying...
83. On and On, Erykah Badu
84. Don't Wanna Be A Player, Joe
85. I Shot The Sheriff, Warren G - Dear everyone: stop with the remakes and write your own goddamned songs.
86. You Should Be Mine (Don't Waste Your Time), Brian McKnight Featuring Mase
87. Don't Cry For Me Argentina, Madonna I love Madge. She's the pop queen.
88. Someone, SWV
90. One More Time, Real McCoy
91. Butta Love, Next
92. Coco Jamboo, Mr. President
93. Twisted, Keith Sweat
95. When You're Gone/Free To Decide, Cranberries
96. Let Me Clear My Throat, DJ Kool Ah huh, ah huh, ah ah! If y'all wanna party like we do, say if y'all wanna party like us, lemme hear you say ah, ah, ahahahah...
97. I Like It, Blackout Allstars YEEEEAAAAH, baby, I like it like that (I like it like that) I got soul!
98. You're Makin' Me High/Let It Flow, Toni Braxton
99. You Must Love Me, Madonna
100. Let It Go, Ray J
My faves from 1998 that I have to include are:
14. Gettin' Jiggy Wit, Will Smith Dear Ben - you dance like a rock star. You're like the white Will Smith, and this song reminds me of you *wink*
40. Make Em' Say Uhh!, Master P (This one is a shout-out to Brandy: Make 'em say uhhhh (uhhhh) nana nanAH!
70. Ghetto Supastar (That Is What You Are), Pras Feat. Ol' Dirty Bastard and Mya
77. Touch It, Monifah Dirty, fun to dance to
Honorable mentions from 1999:
11. Where My Girls At?, 702 "From the front to back and if you're feelin' that, put one hand up, can you repeat that? Tryin' to take my man, see I don't need that! So don't play yourself..." Dedicated to man-stealers everywhere.
21. Bills, Bills, Bills, Destiny's Child - Mostly I was impressed with the use of the lyrics "Can you pay my automobills?"
26. Bailamos, Enrique Iglesias - Ask Brandy abotu the incident of holler-singing BAILAMOOOOOOS off of a balcony in the wee hours. Much fun.
39. Can I Get A F- You..., Jay-Z This is actually in my car's CD player RIGHT NOW. (Yeah, I'm classy like that.)
53. Miami, Will Smith - Beacause Will Smith is awesome, and I prefer my rap without "bitches," "hos" and the n-word.
56. Please Remember Me, Tim McGraw - So sad. To screw with some Toni Braxton lyrics, I love me some Tim
63. Give It To You, Jordan Knight - This was dirty. A little creepy. I liked it anyway.
75. Back That Thang Up, Juvenile Featuring Mannie Fresh and Lil' Wayne. Just because. I mean, how can you *not* dance to this?